jump to navigation

Borgo San Lorenzo, c. 1910 12/05/2011

Posted by florencecapital in Uncategorized.
Tags: , ,
trackback

 

 

c. 1910

Our first halt is at Borgo San Lorenzo, chief town, or capital, of the Mugello, situated on the Sieve, also on the direct railway line to Faenza, and containing about three thousand inhabitants. While lacking, one cannot tell why, the charm of Scarperia, the town has its attractions, notably two noble and well-preserved gateways, several towers, and many a cluster of richcoloured, irregular roofs. Especially interesting is the lofty Antico Campanile della Pieve—a battered veteran keeping its time-honoured watch and ward over the Sieve valley, its sides showing many a scar and patch, and its simple, conical roof, like an old cap pulled lowover its sleepless eyes.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: